Calling all Scratchers
#ScratchFest is a weekend (June 24th and June 25th) Scratch-a-thon for kids interested in creating amazing original work with the Scratch programming environment.
During #ScartchFest, kids will brainstorm an idea, develop their project, and showcase a final prototype. This weekend warrior event provides an excellent opportunity for Scratch coders to invent their own projects and demonstrate their knowledge in Scratch within a collaborative, creative, and playful environment.
Scratchers will work on projects in 1 of 3 categories:
- Interactive Artwork: Abstract, conceptual, or just plain weird, interactive artwork projects explore the combination of visuals and sound to create unique interactive presentations.
- Interactive Stories: With Scratch interactive story projects, you will take your audience through an amazing world of your own creation.
- Video Games: Action, strategy, roll playing, sports…. build your own game for your players to compete at.
Working in teams of up to 2, or working solo, Scratchers aged 8 to 13 of various skill levels will earn points from the community to take home top dog prizes.
Over $500 in prizes will be awarded for the best in category projects. Hint: the prizes are related to the three categories of projects.
Pre-registration is required.
- What is Scratch? Scratch is used over the world by students to easily create animations and games while acting as a stepping stone to the more advanced world of computer science.
- Do I need to know Scratch to participate? Having some basic prior knowledge of the Scratch programming environment is advantageous. There will be some workshops at the event to help you out.
- How many days is #ScratchFest? #ScratchFest runs both Saturday June 24th, and Sunday June 25th. The event each day runs from 12 to 4PM.
- What is the age range for participants? Scratchers at #ScratchFest are aged 8 to 13.
- Can I work on my project with a group? Groups of up to 2 people can be formed.
- Can I work on a pre-existing project? Projects need to be created from “scratch” at the event. You will have two days to begin, develop, tweak and complete your original project over the course of the weekend.
- How do I win? Participants will earn points from the community. The projects with the highest points win. Points will be awarded to individuals who help their neighbours with their tough Scratch programming problems. The community will also award points to what they think are the best projects. Finally, judges will award points to projects who best meet the judging criteria.
- When Does Judging Take Place? Project judging will happen “science fair style” starting at 2:30 PM on Sunday. All participants, including parents, will be able to award points to each project. Invite your friends and Grandma and Grandpa.
- What about food? This is a bring your own food event. Please pack enough food to fuel yourself for the 4 hour workday. Please do not bring food items that are common food allergies. Also, please no citrus. There are a few folks participating who are highly allergic to citrus.
- Can parents hang out at the event? Absolutely. Pull up a chair, get comfy, and help cheer on all the kids.
Several amazing Valley business tossed support our way to pull off this event. Hats off to our Valley IT community.
Hosted by Creative Computing. A series of workshops for kids 8 to 13 interested in computer science.