Calling all Digital Builders
#ScratchFest is a weekend (June 23th and June 24th) Build-a-thon for kids and teens interested in creating amazing original work with digital technologies, such as the Scratch programming environment, Processing, Virtual Reality, and more.
During #ScartchFest, participants will brainstorm an idea, develop their project, and showcase a final prototype. This weekend warrior event provides an excellent opportunity for coders to invent their own projects and demonstrate their knowledge within a collaborative, creative, and playful environment.
Kids (8 to 13 years old) will work on Scratch projects in 1 of 3 categories:
- Interactive Artwork: Abstract, conceptual, or just plain weird, interactive artwork projects explore the combination of visuals and sound to create unique interactive presentations.
- Interactive Stories: With Scratch interactive story projects, you will take your audience through an amazing world of your own creation.
- Video Games: Action, strategy, roll playing, sports…. build your own game for your players to compete at.
Teens (13 to 17 years old) will work on projects using whatever software technologies they choose. We will have on hands experts able to assist teens with:
- Scratch: See how far you can take the Scratch environment to build unique wonders.
- OpenProcessing: Using p5js, coding tools for the visual artist, take your canvas to the web.
- Circuit Playground Express: A DIY electronics platform, build robots to change the world.
Working in teams of up to 2, or working solo, Scratchers aged 8 to 13 and coders (13 to 17) of various skill levels will earn points from the community to take home top dog prizes.
Over $500 in prizes will be awarded for the best in category projects.
Pre-registration is required.
- What is Scratch? Scratch is used over the world by students to easily create animations and games while acting as a stepping stone to the more advanced world of computer science.
- Do I need to know Scratch to participate? Having some basic prior knowledge of the Scratch programming environment is advantageous. There will be some workshops at the event to help you out.
- How many days is #ScratchFest? #ScratchFest runs both Saturday June 23th, and Sunday June 24th. The event each day runs from 12 to 4PM.
- What is the age range for participants? Scratchers at #ScratchFest are aged 8 to 13. Coders at #ScratchFest are aged 13 to 17.
- I’m 13 and want to work on a Scratch project. Am I in the kids category or the teen category? If you are an experienced Scratcher, you are in the teen category.
- Can I work on my project with a group? Groups of up to 2 people can be formed.
- Can I work on a pre-existing project? Projects need to be created from “scratch” at the event. You will have two days to begin, develop, tweak and complete your original project over the course of the weekend.
- How do I win? Participants will earn points from the community. The projects with the highest points win. Points will be awarded to individuals who help their neighbours with their tough Scratch programming problems. The community will also award points to what they think are the best projects. Finally, judges will award points to projects who best meet the judging criteria.
- When Does Judging Take Place? Project judging will happen “science fair style” starting at 2:30 PM on Sunday. All participants, including parents, will be able to award points to each project. Invite your friends and Grandma and Grandpa.
- What about food? This is a bring your own food event. Please pack enough food to fuel yourself for the 4 hour workday. Please do not bring food items that are common food allergies.
- Can parents hang out at the event? Absolutely. Pull up a chair, get comfy, and help cheer on all the kids.
It takes a community. If you are interested in sponsoring #ScratchFest, drop us a line.
Hosted by Refresh Annapolis Valley. All are welcome!